Background

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

What should you do with cupboard door samples?

Well, turn them into art of course!

I found these 5 cupboard door samples by the curb. And right away I knew what I had in mind for them.

 

I painted them with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Old White, then I distressed them and applied clear wax.

Next I printed images from The Graphics Fairy on off-white card stock paper.

The plan was to modge podge them in the centre part of the doors. Well, it was a lot of work locating the middle of the door, then the middle of the images. And with my mediocre limited measuring skills, it meant having to reprint a few of the pictures because they were off centre. 

Okay, finally they were all centered nicely. Next I modge podged the back of the images and glued them on the doors. So far so good. Next, in order to protect them, I modge podged the front of the images with the matte finish modge podge. Well, apparently, you can't do that with ink-jet printed images; it washes off the ink.  ;^(  I had to scrape them off the doors.

So, I went back, reprinted the images and this time I sprayed them with a canvas protector, also in a matte finish. Reglued them on the doors. Let everything dry thoroughly and then went over them with a thin layer of modge podge. Success!

Hubby and I then installed some hooks on the back and here they are, ready to grace someone's kitchen or dining room:





Yes I know, there are two doors with identical teapots. It's a mistake, folks. One of them was supposed to be 3 adorable teacups. But with all the measuring and gluing mistakes, I lost track of what I reprinted and that's how I ended up with two teapots. I'm kind of a klutz that way. Oh. Well. I'm okay with it. :^)




My husband really likes the way they turned out and thinks I'm on to something. Unfortunately, they're one of a kind, because I don't know where I can find an infinite supply of cupboard door samples. For free. The curb is a fickle mistress, my friends. She doesn't offer the same thing twice.

Too bad, because I really learned from all those mistakes and now I'm a real pro at this!

*******

Don't forget to enter my giveaway for a free My Memories digital scrapbooking software package, only 3 more days to go!

*******

Linking up to:

A Diamond in the Stuff



Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage



1 comment:

  1. They're gorgeous Nicole!!!!
    I'm working on a massive one right now - but same idea
    Are they for the store?
    Hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete