Background

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Does anybody remember clackers?

Clackers were a fad in the 70's. I remember I had to have them. Mine were made of an opaque lime green plastic. I just had a flashback to my youth recently about them and it occurred to me what a lame and dangerous toy that was!

File-Dark_Orange.jpg File-ClackersLimeGreen.jpg


The object of the game (if you can call it a game) consisted in holding the clackers by the ring and swinging them up and down so that the balls would knock each other, therefore "clacking". It required a certain amount of skill to master the movement.


Well, before I did master the game, let me tell you, I acquired quite a set of bruises on my forearms! Not to mention that they occasionally went flying, narrowly missing breakable targets and human beings in the process!


According to Wikipedia, they are similar in appearance to an Argentinian weapon known as "bolas"! How they were ever allowed as a child's toy, I don't know!


Aaaah, good times!

8 comments:

  1. I don't remember letting my children have anything like that to play with. Sounds very dangerous to me, but sounds like you had a good time with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember clackers but it sounds like a hula hoop would be safer!!! :-)
    Sherry@Back2Vintage

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man do I remember clackers!

    I had a pair of dark purple ones. I was fearless and would threaten a lot of kids with them. I also remember getiing hurt a lot.

    I wonder what happened to them?

    Aaaah good times! This game wouldn't make it today as it is not safe. Like Bag'O'Glass!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a pair too, orange! My dad used to keep them away from me and once a while, he would allowed me to play!!! Me too, I wondered what happen to them... I like those childhood memories. And thanks for your visit on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't remember clackers... just a little before my time, I think. Your pictures wouldn't pop up for me, so I googled them. They said they were pulled from the shelves because kids kept getting hurt... ha! It's funny how things from our chilhood come back to us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow I do remember clackers, I knew what you were talking about as soon as I saw your post, however, I doubt I would've ever remember their name!!! I loooved them when I was a kid, not sure I was ever any good with them though! I'd surely hurt myself with them now.

    Congrats on your weight loss, it's not easy! Thanks for visiting my blog and your kind words!
    Debbie @ Cottage Hann~Me~Downs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my! Clackers! I remember those! I loved them and mastered them as a kid but today I would be a danger to everyone and everything around me!

    Thanks for visiting me. I guess we both keep good company - the one and only 'Ms. V' (aka Vonlipi)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I still have my set! One is opague blue, the other opague orange. I've yet to see anouther pair with that combo. I also remember fracturing my wrist...

    ReplyDelete